background

Thursday, February 3, 2011

my permanent art work...

so if you know me a little...you know i love tattoos. i have 2 at the moment and basically want 50 more. I always promise myself I will spend my tax money like a responsible girl and get my tattoo but I haven't yet... (COME ON ME!) So, this year... I'm doing it. Here's what I want...

My back piece...
That I've wanted for 5 years now. My rule is I have to want one for at LEAST a year before I get it...so ta dah! Here's the scoop...I want 2 swallows holding a banner that reads be dust and fear not. The setting has chanced in the last 5 years but I first discovered this in an old guest book from Dec 24th 1865. HOW AWESOME IS THAT?! It was just someone's doodle of two swallows in a field of wheat with the phrase "be dust and fear not" underneath...here's the basic layout...

the birdie...wings not up but extended...coloring the same.


the banner... the swallows will be on either side grasping the strings off of it in their mouth...banner will say be dust and fear not and be MUCH skinnier.


THEN onto my arm...
This is what I want to get done first actually:) Haha, I have been working on an idea for a half sleeve for over a year and it will be added onto later...just have the basics for now...
So we start with wood block waves or a cool version of wood block waves.


they will probably be less dark than that... and then adding...POPPIES!!:) they will be winding around my arm, two totally open, and then the phrase...
I Aear cân ven na mar.
Which is ELVISH for the sea calls us home... yes, my husband actually thinks that it's EXTREMELY sexy. Steve and I have always felt at home with the sea...that sounds super cheesy but...we can't help it...we're scotch irish.

I also will get both these phrases on my person at some point but my phrases are FAR less expensive they are as follows...
Alea Iacta (or jacta) Est- Which means the die is cast said by Caesar upon starting his civil war with Pompey.
AND
Deus ex Machina... I'm a TOTAL nerd for wanting this but it's a literary term that basically means something or someone saves the day out of nowhere and everything is resolved. It used to be because sometimes in greek plays they would just have a God come out of nowhere on stage and solve all the problems and that would be it... this phrase literally means... God out of the machine...because usually they were dropped in on cables from the ceiling or raised up through a trap door. such obscurity but i LOVE it.

and those are my tattoos!:)

3 comments:

  1. i love tattoos. someday i will be brave enough and have enough money to get some. i told aaron that i'm going to tattoo his name somewhere on my body.

    ReplyDelete
  2. be super classy and get it under your eye. that screams class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Thanks for commenting on cake & cotton and letting me know about the new free civil wars song! so glad to know about that!! you have a cute blog...i hope you're enjoying C&C too. have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete