background

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

they call me crafty pants...

let me give you a little insight on our house. we are renting this old lake house just about a block away from the home i grew up in. it's 4 bedrooms, an office and it has an AMAZING 3 seasons room with a view of the lake. when you live in an old lake house on the island here are some things to expect...
1. Your house will have a TERRIBLE foundation. Unless your house has been built in the last 8 years on the island...your foundation will be AWFUL. My parent's house is so bad that a part of their wall is falling away. NOT KIDDING. Our house isn't losing a wall but our entire house leans downhill to the right.
2. Your house will have very OLD windows. Some of our windows have been replaced BUT the outsides are all original and ALL bluish green...and i'm fairly sure...laced with lead.
3. Your house will have random cracks in the walls. Oh yes, applicable to us and definitely has to do with the foundation.
4. At least one of your doors will not shut properly...actually...one of our doors shut properly...OH and that's it.
5. Your house will have inexplicable charm...which ours TOTALLY does.

Now, since we're in a rental property I can't bring myself to paint. I DO want to paint our kitchen cabinets but that will have to wait until April...and i think that's all I'll be able to do UNLESS we get a bundle of joy between now and when we move... I'll paint the babays room:). So needless to say... I try and spruce things up here and there cheaply. What I'm about to tell you isn't to brag, but only to encourage you that IT CAN BE DONE!:) Our living room is almost COMPLETELY decorated and I've only spent 20 bucks...are you ready to have your mind blown...When we moved into this house the only thing we had for our living room was a shelf for our DVD's and...a chair. That's it. We now have... a coffee table, a console table, a love seat, a couch, a tv, a tv stand, 7 picture frames, and 3 posters. Holy. Moses. The only things I purchased were a few picture frames and 2 posters (which amounted to 19 bucks)...everything else was given to us. I keep trying to spruce things up in little ways and tonight I made a valentine's bunting and I'm in the process of making a few birds for our dining room. I LOVE finding new little crafts to try out. Oh man, i have to go to bed... I'm EXHAUSTED. Hope you enjoy the pic:)

1 comment:

  1. you are crafty pants! i'm sorry to ruin your big plans to share your craftiness with me. i will show you the miles and miles of flags that we have. it is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete