background

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

fueled by soy...and an insatiable love for new tunes.

So...i LOVE new music. I used to get a lot more of it when i had 2 jobs (one that was rather lucrative) and i could blow my money on whatever i wanted...ahhh, those were the days...ya know, the days before i was a boring married lady who owns her own business and wants to start ANOTHER small business?? Yes, the lady with no money... that's who i am now. But every year for Christmas and my Birthday (and sometimes even for anniversaries!!) i get an itunes gift card and it's new music central for a whole 15 songs. YIPPEE! Here's a list of 15 songs YOU should be listening to. ps, I did say 25 but pussed out at the end because it's 2am and my Melatonin is FINALLY starting to kick in.


1. Poison and Wine- The Civil Wars: This song...ugh...absolute deliciousness. To enhance the listening experience of this song...seriously, watch the music video on youtube. It will make you want to go and make-out with your significant other. promise.

2. Girl in the War-Josh Ritter: If you have been around me and my ipod or my computer in the past 3 weeks you will have already heard this song...because i make everyone listen to it... yes, against people's wills... it's music, if you don't want to listen to it... you probably shouldn't hang around me.

3. White Blank Page- Mumford & Sons: love the sincerity of his voice. just sounds SO earnest. love the build up in this song...and the banjo.

4. Cosmic Love- Florence and the Machine: Alright, honest moment...i LOVE them recorded... i can't listen to them live. It's terrible. I mean i have actually TURNED OFF the tv after listening for a bit. I mean, wonderful performer... not great with actually being on pitch. So while I may NEVER go see them live...I will definitely continue to buy her recorded music...cause it's bomb.

5. Belong- Cary Brothers- Oh hey, haven't ripped my heart out in awhile...guess i'll listen to this song...oh.my. definitely the definition of making you want to smile and cry at the same moment.

6. Head or Your Heart- Mat Kearney: Wow, i love this guy. And the starting lyric is "baby choose one your head or your heart..." phew... come on now mat. I also REALLY like the guitar tones used in the guitar solo. I had a LONG discussion with Steve about it tonight. Apparently it's got a clean boost, played in the middle pick-up, with an analog delay just a second behind the original note and the reverb cranked... see how smart i am??!?

7. I'm a Criminal- Paul Reddick and the Sidemen: Canadian classic. Also, wanna feel like a total bad ass...hello, just turn on this baby. Sometimes when i listen to this song i feel like i should be walking out of a bank vault with just a brick of cash in one hand, a bottle of cheap whiskey in the other, and a cig in my mouth...ta dah indeed.

8. Hurricane Waters- Citizen Cope: I truly try to reserve mr. greenwood for the first warm days of summer when you can legitimately drink a corona without looking like a total douchelord. BUT this song seems to transcend the wintery mix coming down outside right now and makes me cozy and warm from the inside. i guess i better remove my snuggie right now...

9. Snow (hey oh)- RHCP: Of COURSE you should listen to this song... first of all... you really can NOT go wrong with RHCP and also, i try to listen to this song when it's freaking COLD outside...it makes me feel better.

10. Joker and the Theif- Wolfmother: See #7 when i told you to listen to this and feel like a BAMF (Samuel L Jackson style??) this song also applies...like as soon as that distorted electric pops in on that quarter note beat...shoot...i better go paint my fingernails black...and learn to play some kickass drums so i can play this song.

11. Skinny Love- Bon Iver: mmmm... this makes me want to live in the hills of Tennessee or in some dirty town in Alabama and not wash my feet and listen to this on a porch coming out of some old victrola...i've painted you a word picture...you're most welcome.

12. Desire- Ryan Adams: This song makes me want to play the mouth organ. period.

13. All of my days- Alexi Murdoch- Best song to end a mix cd with...just sayin.

14."F" You- Cee-Lo Green: I'm basically in love with large black men in general. I am also in love with black men with crazy amazing voices. I am also in love with people who use the "F" word too frequently... shockingly...i love this song...

15. People Get Ready- Joss Stone and Jeff Beck: LOOOOOVVVVVEEE Joss Stone, I basically love anyone british who sings...yes, shut it, even amy winehouse. I heard this song over the summer and it just blows me away. I'm fairly sure she's high when she's singing it in the video but Jeff Beck plays this little riff that gets stuck in my head for DAYS and best of all...his bass player is a girl...and Mel, I think she should be Trey's next girlfriend.

No comments:

Post a Comment